Thursday, June 6, 2013

A place to rest

A favorite spot at the nature preserve
Thursdays are my writing days. My normal daily schedule involves homeschooling the kids, laundry, meals and other household chores, working online for a few hours (I work for a homeschool curriculum company), helping Dave as he needs, running to various appointments, and so on. Thursday afternoons are beautiful beacons that lure me out of the house each week. I get my work with the kids and online done as early in the day as possible, and then go walk at the nature preserve, or sit in a favorite sunny spot. Today was gray and rainy, but time in the Word and just to sit and think was refreshing. Usually I spend the first 30 minutes just sitting, eating lunch, and decompressing from life's fast pace.

Last week I sat under a cool maple with the wind whispering through the leaves, watching the sunshine dancing on a glorious green hillside that races up to a brilliant blue sky. So many shades of green: broad, pale stripes from the mower alternating with grassier greens, trees that glow lime-green or stand tall with stately and subdued forest greens...

It was so peaceful after a long, cold winter, and a spring filled with sickness after sickness. So I breathed in deep, long droughts of sunshine and green, and just sat and listened.


Truly my soul finds rest in God;
my salvation comes from him.
Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

Psalm 62:1-2
This reminds me of home and the creek I grew up by
Nature is so healing. Where do you go for healing and rest? Do you have a special place that you spend time with God?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the imagery you used in this post...I too find nature gives me an instant connection to God and a calming balance for my mind, body and soul...as if God is holding me and when I focus on Him in that moment, I realize how loved I am, and how truly amazing God is ...

Merry said...

Yes, I kept thinking about that verse...the trees of the field will clap their hands...He is indeed amazing. Thanks for commenting!