Saturday, November 17, 2007

I know what the problem is, Mom!

Here I am, starting my first blog and hoping I've not completely lost my mind. Hold the comments on that thought please! Gee, I can see one has to be VERY careful in how they go about things in blogland!

So, I guess I'll start with a story...about story problems. Yeah, math. Specifically Anna's. They were all wrong yesterday--she added instead of subtracting. So I called her to me and had her read the problems to me. She stumbled a bit on the names & on one other word, but she understood the meaning of the problem. I could tell by the big, "OOOOOOOhhhhh" as she read them.

I encouraged her (after helping her with the names and the word cabbage--why do they do word problems on cabbage? If the word had been chocolate, I'm sure she could have read it!) that she could always come ask me what a word means if she doesn't know it. Then she said, "I know what the problem is mom. I don't ever read the words, I just assume it's adding!" Oh my goodness, I think we laughed for 5 minutes!

Zach was in the room, and he had to chime in, "Yeah, Anna, the words aren't there just to fill up the page and make it look pretty." Hmmm, I wonder who could have put an idea like that in his head?

I think little moments like these are gifts from God--an opportunity to make a connection with our kids. It could just as easily have been a moment of frustration or impatience on my part, and driven a wedge between my daughter and I. But in laughter we can find healing and family-bonding.

What can you do to make a connection with your kids today?

Merry :-)

8 comments:

Oh Joy! said...

Ohhh that's good!! To end a blog with a challenge!! Hmmm... that's left me thinking!!

I thought that was funny when you shared the story in SL land.

I'm looking forward to reading your blogs. I'm the Praizer girl... :)

Lorri said...

I'm so glad you started blogging! I just subscribed so I don't miss a thing.

Jules said...

Merry, You've done it! Woo-hoo!!!

You are such a sweet mommy and dear Anna is blessed to have such a loving mom.

Momof4JackAttacks! said...

Merry, Glad you finally entered the blog world.
Lisa :-)

Sally Datria said...

Merry,
Welcome to the blogging world!! It's about time!! Come visit my blog:
www.sdatriasblog.blogspot.com

P.S. If I had a nickel for every student I had that doesn't read the problem and just "assumes (fill in the blank)" I would be RICH!!!

Bronie said...

welcome! i have visited your website on several occasions, but i'm glad you've joined the blogging community.

for some it's a hobby, for others it's a living, and for all it's an outlet!

come by and visit sometime, and i'll link you up!

Anonymous said...

So glad to see your blog, Merry! I've loved your website & newsletters for years. I hope your blog brings much joy to you & others. :)

Thanks for posting your insights about laughter--which is 2/3 of successful parenting, in my opinion, and the lifeblood of homeschooling. We're all so fallible, students and teachers, and so funny!

Anonymous said...

Merry, I'm very excited that you're blogging. Your writing always make me think -- and almost always inspires me. I'm looking forward to reading more.

And I love it when our kids can find the humor in a situation -- and when we can too. :)