Monday, November 19, 2007

Favorite Verses

Ps 46:1-11
1 God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. Selah
There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells.
God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day.
Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall; he lifts his voice, the earth melts.
The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah
Come and see the works of the LORD, the desolations he has brought on the earth.
He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth; he breaks the bow and shatters the spear, he burns the shields with fire.
"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."
The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah(NIV)


When our mountains quake and our lives are falling apart, there is a strong temptation to believe God has abandoned us--but He is ever-present and beckons us to Him, to find refuge in Him, to be still and know--know deep within our soul and in our mind and in our hearts--that He is God, and He is with us.

What are you reading in the Word lately? Is there a passage that's really speaking to you?

Merry :-)

6 comments:

Deborah said...

I went to an adult bible fellowship yesterday and the bible study was about decisions, "something I can't remember" and outcomes. The real simple concept was that "Do we believe that God knows what is best for us" or do we think that "we" know best in certain situations. I was struck that God can not be my refuge if I do not think that He knows best. It seems like I eventually embrace that he knows best in my life in one area then some other big thing comes up and it takes me so long to finally say that He know best in that area. It takes me a while to take refuge and strength when I could have been getting His strength long before.

Know - Be still - gain stength
I hope this works - I have never done a blog only looked at them.

Deborah

Anonymous said...

Wow, Deborah, I love your insight, YES! I've never thought about it in quite that way--and I've spent a lot of time trying to get my mind around the concept of how God is our refuge when life is falling apart. I've thought about trust a lot--but I really like you put it--we have to know that He knows what is best for us.

Welcome to blogging, you did it! But I don't know what I'm doing wrong, it won't take my password! Ah, technology! Thanks, Merry :-)

Sally Datria said...

Off topic question....what's a "farkle"??????

Anonymous said...

Merry, I awarded you the Spirit of Christmas Award. Stop by my blog for details. Let me know if you need help with the graphic.Spirit of Christmas

Merry said...

Wow, thanks Lorri! And I really do want to know if you have Mac & cheese as a side dish at TG! (((Hugs))) Merry :-)

Merry said...

Hi Sally...Funny you should ask, watch for tomorrow's blog!

Merry :-)